Ultimate Guide to Gap Year Travel: Tips,...
Location:Eastern Mediterranean, peninsula on the southwest coast of Cyprus
Area:123 sq km
Population:approximately 18,195 on the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia including 11,000 Cypriots and 7,195 Service and UK-based contract personnel and dependents (2020)
Religion:70.5%, belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.
Things to Do
1. Explore Kastelholm Castle
Visit the historic Kastelholm Castle and learn about its rich history and architecture. The castle offers guided tours and stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
2. Cruise through the Archipelago
Take a relaxing cruise through the beautiful Åland Archipelago. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, picturesque landscapes, and impressive wildlife.
3. Visit the Åland Maritime Museum
Explore the fascinating history of maritime culture in the Åland Islands at the Åland Maritime Museum. Discover ship models, artifacts, and interactive exhibits.
4. Go hiking in Orrdalsklint Nature Reserve
Embark on a hiking adventure in Orrdalsklint Nature Reserve. Discover breathtaking landscapes, beautiful flora and fauna, and stunning views of the Baltic Sea.
5. Relax on Käringsunds Beach
Unwind and soak up the sun at Käringsunds Beach. Enjoy the sandy shores, clear waters, and beautiful surroundings. Perfect for swimming and picnicking.
6. Explore Bomarsund Fortress
Step back in time and explore the ruins of Bomarsund Fortress. Learn about its history and significance as a coastal defense system in the 19th century.
7. Visit St. George's Church
Marvel at the beautiful architecture of St. George's Church. Admire the decorative details and learn about the church's role in the local community.
8. Go fishing in Kökar
Experience the thrill of fishing in the waters of Kökar. Enjoy the tranquility of nature and try your luck at catching local fish species.
9. Visit the Åland Art Museum
Immerse yourself in the world of art at the Åland Art Museum. Explore contemporary and historical artworks from local and international artists.
10. Go kayaking in Föglö
Discover the beauty of Föglö's coastline by kayaking through its pristine waters. Enjoy the peacefulness of nature and explore hidden coves and islands.
Guide to the Best Online Groups for...
Tips & Hacks for Accommodation Booking
Travel Tips: A Guide to Insurance,...
Money: Making Cents of Your Travels
Top 10 Technology Tips for Smart...
How to Master Visa Requirements for...
How to Find the Best Flight Deals: Pro...
The Åland Islands have a maritime climate, with mild temperatures and relatively high levels of precipitation throughout the year. Here are some details on the climate and the best time to visit:
- The summer months (June-August) have an average temperature of around 15-20°C (59-68°F), with occasional heatwaves that can push temperatures up to 25°C (77°F) or higher.
- The winter months (December-February) are cold and dark, with average temperatures ranging from -5 to 0°C (23-32°F).
- The spring and autumn months (March-May and September-November) are mild, with temperatures ranging from 5-15°C (41-59°F).
Best Time to Visit
- The best time to visit the Åland Islands is during the summer months (June-August), when the weather is warm and the days are long. This is the peak tourist season, and the islands can get quite crowded during this time.
- Spring and autumn can also be good times to visit, as the weather is mild and the crowds are smaller.
- Winter is not the best time to visit, as many attractions and activities are closed or limited due to the cold and dark weather. However, the islands can be beautiful in the snow and offer a unique winter experience for those willing to brave the cold.
There are many hotels located throughout the Åland Islands, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxury hotels. Many hotels are located in the capital city of Mariehamn, but there are also hotels located in smaller towns and villages on the islands.
Bed and Breakfasts
Bed and breakfasts (B&Bs) are a popular option for visitors who want a more intimate and personal experience. Many B&Bs on the Åland Islands are located in traditional island homes, offering visitors a chance to experience local culture and hospitality.
Camping is a popular option for visitors who want to be close to nature and the outdoors. There are several campgrounds located throughout the islands, offering tent and RV camping options.
Vacation rentals, such as cottages and apartments, are a popular option for visitors who want more space and privacy. Many vacation rentals on the Åland Islands are located in scenic and peaceful locations, offering visitors a chance to relax and unwind.
Hostels are a budget-friendly option for visitors who are traveling on a tight budget. There are a few hostels located on the Åland Islands, offering dormitory-style accommodations and communal facilities.
Renting a car is a popular way to get around the Åland Islands, as it offers visitors flexibility and the ability to explore the islands at their own pace. There are several car rental companies located on the islands, and rental prices are generally reasonable.
Bicycling is a popular way to explore the Åland Islands, as the islands are relatively small and flat, with many scenic bike paths and routes. Bicycles can be rented from several shops and vendors on the islands, and there are also many places to park and lock bicycles.
The local bus system on the Åland Islands is reliable and efficient, with several routes and schedules available throughout the islands. Bus tickets can be purchased on board, and there are also multi-day passes available for visitors who plan to use the bus frequently.
Since the Åland Islands are located in the middle of the Baltic Sea, ferries are an important transportation option for getting to and from the islands. There are several ferry companies that operate routes between the Åland Islands and neighboring countries, including Sweden and Finland.
Taxis are available on the Åland Islands, but they can be expensive compared to other transportation options. However, taxis can be a convenient option for visitors who want to get around quickly or who have limited mobility.
- The currency used in Åland Islands is the Euro (€).
- Credit cards are widely accepted, especially Visa and Mastercard.
Cash And Cards
- It is recommended to carry some cash for small purchases and in case of emergency.
- ATMs are available in most towns and cities.
- It is advisable to inform your bank about your travel plans to Åland Islands to avoid any issues with your cards.
- ATMs can be found in most towns and cities in Åland Islands.
- Make sure to check with your bank about any fees or charges for ATM withdrawals abroad.
- Tipping is not expected in Åland Islands as service charges are typically included in the bill.
- However, it is common to round up the bill or leave a small tip as a gesture of appreciation.
Cost Of Living
- The cost of living in Åland Islands is generally higher compared to mainland Finland.
- Prices for goods and services may vary, but expect to pay more for dining out, accommodation, and transportation.
- Tourist scams are not common in Åland Islands, but it's always important to be cautious.
- Be wary of strangers offering unsolicited help or suspicious business offers.
- It's advisable to use licensed taxi services and be cautious when sharing personal or financial information.